(Franchetto of Philip and Marie Antoinette Giffoni)
When we focus on new energy-related occupations in the world, our thoughts turn immediately to renewables. And energy efficiency? Treated
a bit 'as the younger sister in the energy revolution that awaits us, the rational use of energy and he can have a significant role in the journey towards transformation. And the job opportunities it offers are numerous and of great interest. AREA
Association wants to introduce one of these professions today, interviewing the engineer Daniel Palma, energy and environmental consultant.
Engineer Palma tells us how did the passion for energy efficiency?
It 's a passion that dates back to the '80s, when reading a science text, I noticed a blurb on the greenhouse effect. To read those few lines about the long-term effects of the phenomenon climate, it seemed far-fetched as it seemed not deserve appropriate attention, but to a small group of scientists and ecologists. So I began to get interested in environmental matters, to understand if they were real or just the fantasy of some doomsday fanatics.
passion for energy efficiency and then descends from the instinctive will to react to a state of general indifference, which I did not addictive.
started with making contacts with environmental organizations. I shared arrembante even the attitude of some members, because it seemed the only way to spread awareness.
Subsequently, studies have made me understand how to maintain balance and should always be critical in any situation, without getting carried away by impulse or ideological presumption of being always right, so environmentalists have become what I would call a technical environment.
At the same time, I realized that if there is a shared determination to solve a general problem, it is very likely that we will succeed. The ozone hole is an example.
today is energy efficiency that can and must do its part to help reduce the harmful consequences of climate change and the gradual reduction of fossil fuels.
What was his course of study? After high school I was
oriented environmental studies, environmental animated by the ideal I mentioned before. I was torn between Environmental Science and Environmental Engineering, who had just appeared in the Italian academic scene. In the end I chose the School of Engineering, which I had hoped could give a more solid basis from a technical standpoint.
I studied environmental engineering, Address Environment, University Federico II of Naples. My curriculum included a significant proportion of examinations of environmental hydraulics, water treatment and waste disposal.
But I also added an examination of environmental control technology, which involved heating and air conditioning environments. It 'was a crucial decision, because I just played the argument in this matter, and immediately after graduation, I also had the opportunity of a doctorate from the DETEC, University of Naples Department of Energy. I did research for five years, focusing on, among other things, the energy savings achievable by the use of innovative environmental conditioning.
The formation of those years was essential to achieving a rigorous method of analysis and theoretical knowledge concerning the thermomechanical systems.
The next step was the Master Ridef, went to Milan, where I was projected into the world of energy audits and eco-efficient design, first in collaboration with the research center eERG, then in collaboration with the consulting firm Energy Ltd. Aldar currently working as a freelancer.
workers who perform are quite varied, energy certification, energy audits, thermal-mechanical systems design, renewable sources. Over the years I have tried to enrich my cultural background, attending courses not directly related to the energy aspects, but not negligible, such as site safety, fire, acoustics, which I was a big help in having a broader view the complexity of a project.
So, in conclusion, it I would advise that to work in this area is: create a solid skills, experience, starting as small design firms, gradually become part of a network of professionals with whom to exchange knowledge and share work.
What does the energy consultant?
The energy consultant should advise the client (private or public) in the choice of strategies and appropriate technologies to meet the energy needs of an activity, which may be a residential building or an enterprise.
The constraint may be starting to respect the limits of law (legislative decree 192/05 and subsequent amendments), or a more ambitious target (class A, home passive, reduced fuel consumption, etc..) desired by the customer.
solutions can be many, given the vibrancy of the sector. The task of the energy consultant is to identify the best solution for the specific case, depending on many parameters. Economic parameters, such as energy prices, the presence of incentives, environmental parameters, such as the local climate, behavioral parameters, such as how to use the building, not to forget the parameters that could be called hedonistic (or aesthetic), ie wishes of the client, to be implemented in accordance with the directions of the architects. This
whereas the optimal solution should also involve a use of natural resources as small as possible, both during construction and exercise.
From this point of view, the energy consultant becomes energy-environment, which is the definition best suited to those who take as their valuation principles not only those of the individual or purely economic, but also those of society.
To help understand the difference in behavior can have an energy consultant who, while performing in a seemingly correct his work, I'll do a couple of examples.
A good energy consultant may recommend to a big developer to invest in the extraction of oil from oil shale, as with oil at a high price this source could become competitive. The energy and environmental consultant should take into account that this is a very polluting source of limited duration, and should instead encourage the development of renewable energy sources. Another example
more domestic scale, the choice of insulation to reduce leakage of a building, the energy consultant may find it convenient to use synthetic insulation, petroleum products, because they are less expensive. The energy and environmental consultant may recommend alternative products, eg. of plant origin, endeavoring to find on the market those with excessively high costs, and less liable to be preferable for other reasons, such as those related issue VOC (volatile organic compounds) or other unwanted substances to the human organism.
is not easy to move in this area, since behind every product or choice may be hidden side effects, costs or environmental impacts that were not provided, or that you do not know. One of the main tasks of the energy consultant is to inform and update continually, so you can always speak with an informed basis, and to defend their choices with solid data and reasoning. It 's a big job, but can give great satisfaction. At the base we need a strong motivation and strong principles.
But if you chose this road because "there is a market pull ", then it is another story.
What we must not forget to be a good energy and environmental consultant?
I think we should not forget the importance of their role, that we must not fall into the temptation of "business" of environmental speculation of profit as an end in itself. The energy and environmental consultant, as I like to call it, must always bear in mind that the basic principle must be the preservation of natural resources, their rational use. Resources as well as economic means, of course, it is always better to avoid facing charges of making unjustified or unsustainable, both for the customer private and public. Choices must always be weighed according to the specific case, also considering possible future scenarios, which may affect the cost or the sustainability of projects completed today.
The energy consultant must be aware of the strategic importance of its role, as it represents one of the figures that it is the correct implementation of energy policies decided at government level and community level.
Finally, I would stress that the energy consultant should always be ready to question their beliefs in critical attitude toward their own ideas, not just to those of others. Even seemingly retrograde solutions and inefficient, could prove successful in certain situations. So, be careful always to listen to those who have more experience, flexibility and willingness to review their strategies, fix from time to time as appropriate.
can be risky to rely on pre-packaged solutions valid for all cases.
What would you suggest to anyone who wants to become energy consultant?
depends on the stage where you are. If you are about to enter university, you believe in the energy sector and want to take a training course that gives guarantees in terms of employment, or recommend Energy Engineering Mechanics with specialization energy. As an alternative, also Electrical Engineering is a good option, especially for those who want to deal with production systems and use of renewable energy. If you graduate in a reasonable time and with good grades, work is guaranteed, in Italy or abroad.
The downside is the difficulty of the studies, so we need a strong motivation, as well as preparation for technical studies, or you risk getting lost on the road.
If you are environmentalists, but want to avoid studying in detail the electric motors and combustion chambers, and you are concerned with technical issues with a common thread multidisciplinary, non-specialist, environmental engineering, then it is better indicated. Do not draw the alternator of a wind turbine, but you can decide whether and where to install it.
Finally, what would you do if today was not an energy consultant?
If I had not had the inspiration to take care of energy and environment, probably sold lemons on the Amalfi Coast. Yes, no doubt, and I also tanned.
Out of the joke, after the labors costs to build my profession, I can now say with great satisfaction, that I could not imagine doing anything better.
0 comments:
Post a Comment